Thursday, January 12, 2006

Prevention opposed to treatment

A Physician trying to explain the dilemmas of the modern practice of medicine:

You know,” he said, “sometimes it feels like this. There I am standing by the shore of a swiftly flowing river and I hear the cry of a drowning man. So I jump into the river, put my arms around him, pull him to shore and apply artificial respiration, and then just as he begins to breathe, another cry for help. SO back in the river again, reaching, pulling, applying, breathing, and then another yell. Again and again, without end, goes the sequence. You know, I am so busy jumping in, pulling them to shore, applying artificial respiration, that I have no time to see who the hell is pushing them all in.”

(K Zola, “Helping – Does it Matter: The Problems and Prospects of Mutal Aid Groups” addressed to the United Ostomy Association, 1970)

2 Comments:

At 7:53 p.m., Blogger The Jon Man said...

I didn't think it was a new concept, seeing that it was quoted in 1970. :P

 
At 11:06 a.m., Blogger Saskboy said...

Unfortunately, by the time someone sees a nurse, or doctor, the prevention side of things is kinda moot. We need to be doing more to get people to do things like stop taking up smoking, to walk around more, and eat less. Doctors aren't the only ones to change those destructive patterns we pick up and go with. Speaking of which it's entirely too late and I'm late for bed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home