Friday, October 14, 2005

Irony

I hope I’m not the only one who sees the irony in this story…

Today at work, I had a very odd fellow come into my office. He wanted to buy some landscape blocks. He wanted me to explain to him how these concrete blocks work. Now, I don’t want to seem like a pompous ass, but they are landscape blocks. You stack them. Once it’s explained once, it should not be explained more than once. I explained it to him about 8 times.

But that’s not the ironic part. He wanted me to stay open late tonight so he could buy some blocks. Our office closes at 5:00. We normally have no issues staying open longer, but nobody could stay late. I had a squash game (in the league that I play in) and I couldn’t take the time off and I was trying to explain to this man that we close at 5:00, but I could arrange for someone to be there tomorrow morning or even early Monday. It was not good enough, he wanted me to stay open on Friday. So, I cancelled my plans because the customer is always right. He said he’ll be there shortly after 5:00.

Here’s the irony. When he came at 5:45 (a far cry from just a little after 5:00), and we loaded him up. I was chit chatting with me about life and I asked him what he does for a living. And he said, …

Wait for it….

Wait….

“I’m a banker”

Now, back me up here people. I have been at the bank, desperately needing to pay bills and drop off deposits, right when they close and have the girl at the door LOCK IT IN MY FACE.

LOCK IT. Right as I went to open the door, she locked it. She actually ran so I would not get in.

And he practically begged me to stay open late.

Yoy.

When it was all over, I had to have a little giggle because it was too ironic for words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home