Wednesday, November 23, 2005

November 23

I wear a ring on my right hand. It is on my fourth finger, right beside my pinky ring. On the inside of my finger, I have a callus because I wear it so much. As a matter of fact, I have worn off all of the grip at the base of my finger, leaving it very smooth. It is a black onyx with a solid gold back. I never take it off.

This ring was given to me on my 16th birthday by my Aunt Donna. It was the ring that my Uncle Jay wore every day. I don’t even recall him not having it, I always remember him wearing it.

Today was my Uncle Jay's Birthday. He died 11 years ago. My aunt Donna was married to him for 11 years, it's weird to think that he has been gone longer than the two of them were married. My Uncle Jay was an amazing man, and I miss him dearly. I know that he is watching over me in my life and I know that he prays for me and my well being.

It is days like this in my adult life that I wonder what he was like in his adulthood. I always had a child – adult relationship with him. Now knowing the wonderful relationship I have with my other family members, I wonder what he would have been like to be friends with on a more equal level.

I wonder how I am going to live my life. I wonder how I am going to be regarded by the ones that I love when I’m gone. If I am half the uncle to Carson and Davis that my uncle was for me, then I will have lead a successful life.

I know that I carry many of his traits. His stubbornness I’ve inherited, his quick witt, and his wide shoulders. But I also have his heart, his honesty and integrity. I thank him for those things, and thank him for being such a wonderful uncle to me. I have been blessed in life for having known him.

I miss you Uncle Jay, and I love you with all my heart.

1 Comments:

At 6:05 p.m., Blogger The Jon Man said...

Thanks dear. :-) that means a lot

 

Post a Comment

<< Home