Thursday, September 15, 2005

Freedom?

I’ve been a lot more active socially in the past month. I’ve been going out with my friends more often, been playing a lot of squash, jogging and lots of tennis. It just reminds me on how much time I spent doing other things this summer, and not being the social guy that I am. It almost makes me feel saddened that I missed out on so much.

This thought process brought me to an interesting stream of thoughts. How do we define ourselves? For instance, this summer I was very secluded and kept to myself, while in other times in my life, I was very social and fun loving. When I was in high school, I was the life of the party but in other times in my life, I was laid back and watched other people take that role. If you ask some people, they would describe as a shy person, while others who knew me while I was young, would describe me as the big goof in a crowd.

So, who are we? Are we the people that we wish to portray, the people that we want others to see us as? Is this residual self image different than who we actually are? Our free will that God has given us allows us to choose to be who we want to be. So, if we want to be viewed as good people, why is it that we sometimes stray?

I’ll write more on this again another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home